Google Search Console is a free service offered by Google that helps you monitor, maintain, and troubleshoot your site’s presence in Google Search results. You don’t have to sign up for Search Console to be included in Google Search results, but Search Console helps you understand and improve how Google sees your site.
Search Console offers tools and reports for the following actions:
- Confirm that Google can find and crawl your site.
- Fix indexing problems and request re-indexing of new or updated content.
- View Google Search traffic data for your site: how often your site appears in Google Search, which search queries show your site, how often searchers click through for those queries, and more.
- Receive alerts when Google encounters indexing, spam, or other issues on your site.
- Show you which sites link to your website.
- Troubleshoot issues for AMP, mobile usability, and other Search features.
How Google Search Works
Google gets information from many different sources, including:
- Web pages,
- User-submitted content such as Google My Business and Maps user submissions,
- Book scanning,
- Public databases on the Internet,
- and many other sources.
1.Google Search Rankings
It essentially tells you about the page title, meta description, sitelinks, site search option, URL, etc.
- Extremely Relevant Data Collection
- HTML Improvisations
- Search Analytics
Google declared that mobile-friendly websites would be preferred over non-mobile friendly and will be taken as a signal as a Google Search Ranking results. The various issues that can be identified through this console are:
- Flash content
- Small Font
- Fixed-Width Viewport
- Viewport Not Configured
- Content not Sized to Viewport
From giving insights about exactly how many pages are included in the Google Indexing results as well as removing any unwanted URLs. A quick look at it gives you the clear idea of the increase or decrease in the indexed pages and help you understand exactly which part of the website needs working.
4.Crawl and Fetch as Google
These features are helpful in finding errors during the crawling like 404, 500 etc that are kept in separate segments for the ease of fixing them. Also, if you’re toggling between various interfaces like desktop, mobile smartphone, mobile XHTML, and mobile cHTML to have an idea about the look and feel of the same on various devices, this console gives you previews of everything all at once.
5.Sitemaps and Site Messages
Sitemaps are exactly as they sound – maps to your website, guiding the Googlebots throughout the same. Now, Googlebots know the exact location of all the pages. GSC also alerts you of many important messages like crawling errors, security issues etc in terms of notifications.
Overall, the Google Search Console helps in tracking every little detail of your website that can prove to be hugely important for achieving better search rankings.